GRAY HAIR APPLICATION / ROOT TOUCH-UP APPLICATION
INITIAL GRAY APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: (same as “STANDARD HAIR APPLICATION”)
*NOTE: white hair, platinum blonde, and gray hair may require additional applications for darkest color.
Many people get great results after the initial application, others require up to 3 color treatments.
Consider: Gray Hair is actually translucent, with no to slight pigment; your starting canvas is really light.
And gray hair is structurally a little different than your colored hair. It has less natural oils, flexibility, and follicle depth.
So pigment retention (for All hair dye products) can be a little stubborn—henna has historically always worked the best.
Additional applications build on top of themselves & will darken—naturally.
And it’s completely Safe & Natural. You can color as often as you like—even back-to-back.
(DO NOT try that with traditional hair dyes)
Guys: Gray facial hair is very coarse & translucent too. It will color…just be sure your whiskers are SUPER Clean.
No food or lip balm or moisturizer residue.
Wash, Dry, & Immediately Apply.
Full Head Gray & Silver Foxes: Simply follow the below and understand the above.
Existing Gray Root Full-Application & Root Touch-Ups Only? See next section below.
1. STANDARD HAIR APPLICATION
Before Application: Wash hair TWICE with a high-lather shampoo. No conditioner or style products.
Hair can be Dry or Towel Dry, but not Wet. Wear smock or old towel over shoulders.
*Always perform a strand/spot test before full application & read below completely Before starting.
A. MIX & PREPARE
- Use quart size mixing bowl per 3.5oz packet(100g) and a spoon to mix.
- Cover any surfaces that may stain: untreated wood, carpet, fabric, etc.
- Pour henna powder into bowl. One packet colors straight, shoulder length hair (approx).
- Add hot, not boiling, water (approx 122º F) gradually to the powder.
- Note: There’s no exact amount of water to add. Add little at a time to get an applicable paste consistency.
Similar to a thick pudding or ketchup consistency.
- Prepare hair for dye treatment. Divide hair into four sections: Front, L&R sides, Back.
B. APPLY COLOR
- Apply directly to hair using gloved hand or hair dye brush.
- Using gloved hand, scoop & apply the paste on back section (if crumbly, add water).
- From root of hair, work evenly to top of hair. Try for complete, even coverage.
- Methodically apply from back to front section. Take your time. Massage well into hair.
- When done, cover head with included plastic cap. Leave on for 1 to 2 hours.
- Note: Longer = Deeper Color, Better Herbal Conditioning.
C. RINSE & CONDITION
- Rinse out thoroughly (NO Shampoo) until all product removed. Then use conditioner.
- Note: Be patient. Rinsing may take a little while. Conditioner will help removal.
- Blow dry hair for 10-15 minutes to accelerate natural color-changing process.
- Remember: It’s natural, no added perfumes. The paste has an earthy plant-based scent.
You can add fragrance oil or personal perfume to hair after rinsed out & blow-dried.
- Avoid shampooing for 24 hours. Avoid leave-in conditioners for at least one week.
- Henna-based dyes will take up to 48 hours to express true colors and undertones.
- Undertones can range from light red to green to blue before fully maturing. Very normal.
- If you missed spots or messed up, you can reapply as often as you like. It’s all natural, safe, & gentle to hair/scalp/skin.
2. EXISTING GRAY ROOT FULL-APPLICATION PROCESS
If you currently have Gray Roots, and want to apply a Full Hair application, then we recommend the following…
A. Mix enough product (powder & water) to cover your gray roots only. (typically less than quarter packet: 2 tbsp)
B. Apply directly to gray area only. From root of gray hair, work evenly to end of gray hair growth. Leave on for one hour.
C. Rinse out completely with water only (DO NOT USE shampoo OR conditioner at this stage—will inhibit best absorption in full app).
D. Then mix and apply the remaining product on entire head (including roots again).
Remember: One packet colors straight, shoulder length hair. Process above may require 2 packets for longer hair.
E. Follow regular application directions from this point. (see back of your HCL™ product packet)
Gray hair may take multiple applications for truest color. Best results after 3+ treatments.
As you repeat (can do as often as you like—100% Safe & Natural), the color quality & treatment benefits will only improve.
3. GRAY ROOT TOUCH-UP (only) PROCESS:
(for between full treatments)
Simply use 2 – 4 Tbsps* of your previous full-application color. Follow above “EXISTING GRAY ROOT FULL APPLICATION PROCESS.”
*use enough product as a paste to cover your exposed gray roots only.
Stop after step # 3. Rinse-out with conditioner (NO Shampoo). You’re done.